04 May 2010

My first presentation-free day!

Day 8: Sightseeing in Philadelphia


Sarah and I have a leisurely morning and stroll down to a sumptuous buffet breakfast in the hotel lobby around 9am. The weather forecast says it will be over 90 and humid so we plan to do a quick shop at my sister's favourite shop, Anthropologie. I am always happy to be involved in a shopping excursion so we head off immediately after breakfast.

There is a slight delay when we find we can't cross Broad Street to get to the shops due to the Broad Street Marathon. I now realise how long it takes for 60,000 runners to pass by – about 1 ½ hours and THEN we can cross the street. Luckily Anthropologie opens at 11am so we arrive just on time. I find the most gorgeous yellow knitted sweater with navy blue trim. It is very pretty. I also buy a pretty cream lace skirt with black silk waistband. I know it will be useful!!

I leave my sister who is a bigger shopper than me to meet my nephew who is studying at Temple University in the city. I am treating us to Sunday brunch at Garces Trading Co – a stylish new market cum cafe which I had discovered the day before and had had the most French lunch outside of France ever. Aside from the beautiful European cheeses and exotic salads they offer the impressive wine shop built right inside the cafe is excellent. I chose a fine Chablis – a wine way out of my price range in Oz. Today though I stick with icy water. It is very hot and I know my nephew and I plan to wander around the streets of South Philly checking out vintage dress shops and anything else of interest.

We have a wonderful afternoon. Matt is very familiar with the city and pointed out many buildings of interest. We walk into the old city and admire the cobblestone streets and beautiful brick Federal houses. It is all very majestic and historic. We take a cab back to my hotel – he heads off to work and I tuck myself in for a relaxing night with room service. I love Philadelphia. As long as you are in the Rittenhouse Square end of the city it is a really beautiful place with stunning historic buildings and great shopping!!



No comments:

Post a Comment